I'm going to attempt to use Alpine Linux as my main desktop OS
Welcome, Guest.
I think Linux is a great thing in the big picture. It's a great hacker's tool and it has a lot of potential to become something more. -Jamie Zawinski

Author Topic: I'm going to attempt to use Alpine Linux as my main desktop OS  (Read 52 times)

Offline OrvilleG

For those that don't know, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login is based on busybox and musl, While most other distributions use glibc. Alpine is also mostly used for containers, servers, and security purposes. Fortunately though, it has a tonne of packages in it's repositories and is pretty easy to install.

Why?
I love Alpine Linux, I've used it as a server OS, and a docker environment before. It was great! I feel like I didn't learn everything there is to know about it though. I believe. the only way to learn everything there is to know about a distribution is by using it as your main desktop OS for a period of time.

Goals
- Install the software I regularly use
- Make everything run smoothly (Workarounds are alright, as long as they aren't band-aid fixes)
- Keep it lightweight

Expected Issues and Solutions
Lot's of software will be difficult to install, since a lot of them are glibc programs (Like Steam) the solution to this would be to install these programs in a glibc chroot enviroment

Getting Vivaldi to run on Alpine will probably be tough. Vivaldi isn't open-source, and it only comes in .deb and .rpm form for Linux. I will have to extract the contents of one of tiose packages and manually install it.

What I Expect to Learn
Well I expect to learn everything that Alpine Linux has to offer. I also expect that it will improve my troubleshooting skills.

Offline eronis

Re: I'm going to attempt to use Alpine Linux as my main desktop OS
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 09:39:56 PM »
We should show this post to those who recommend installing Arch in order to learn more about Linux :P
I would like to read more about it. Please keep this post updated :)
The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it. --Linus Torvalds

Offline OrvilleG

Re: I'm going to attempt to use Alpine Linux as my main desktop OS
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 10:24:19 PM »
Well, I did it. I was able to get everything I needed installed, except for Vivaldi. I pretty much just followed the Wiki for everything I needed to. except for running glibc software, that was outdated. i found the Void Linux wiki helpful though. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

After I set everything up, and got it the way I liked it, I managed to corrupt my boot my root partition and BIOS. everything is mostly good now. i was able to fix my BIOS, but not my root partition. It was a wild day, lol.

I'm back to Debian now, because i really don't ant to go through that again. it took hours and hours to set everything up.

I will have a complete write up of my journey, soon.