this is beginning to look like a renaissance
Welcome, Guest.
The Chatroom is BACK! --Spatry

Author Topic: this is beginning to look like a renaissance  (Read 297 times)

Offline DPS

this is beginning to look like a renaissance
« on: April 16, 2019, 12:47:27 AM »
Hello all, my name is DPS and I'm pretty much brand new to any Linux distro. my first venture into this beautiful realm was about a month ago, and I've been loving it ever since. I wake up in the morning, grab a cup of coffee, and start loading iso's onto the few 3.0's that I have. 
    before I came to Linux, I (of course) was using windont, but my background isn't in software... but hardware. I like to think of myself as a tinkerer of sorts. 
    With that said though, Linux has opened up a whole new world for me. I've always wondered, "why can't I put my own software on these Garmin I have lying around", or "how can I use the plethora of hardware I have lying around, for other things?" After finally getting passed the trolls that don't take too kindly to Linux newcomers, I've found the greatness in Linux (IMO), THE MODULARITY!
   My main goal as a new representative of this great and honorable community is to learn as much as I can so that I can give back and help fellow newcomers cross over to Linux, but also to promote the use of Linux and its derivatives. 
   What I am currently trying to do is (like I touched on before) is utilize the hardware that i have, from my old Netgear neoTV to my older gaming systems (ps1, ps2, gameboys and DS's), and run my own form of Linux based emulators and my own forms of just... WHATEVER! lol
     If you have any interest in the things I've touched on, please do not hesitate to get in touch with me! I have all the time in the world (i work from home, and live in the boonies) to discuss things and help with what I can!
   Thanks for reading! 

Post Script:
    also, I believe no hardware is off limits! I have a few smart tv's that just WANT to get wiped and loaded with linux :), and plenty of older PCs hardware and laptops! So lets do some testing! You say the word, and ill run down to my barn and grab EVERYTHING!

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • PC PrimeApe
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
Re: this is beginning to look like a renaissance
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 01:22:15 AM »
Hello and welcome! Sounds like you may be a bit of a retro gamer. Have you tried out You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login? I just found out about it last week from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and tinkered with it over the weekend. Let's just say I now have some computer parts coming in to pair up with other parts I have lying around that will essentially form an HP 8300 USDT. I'm going to have the ultimate classic console....console I've always wanted.

The OS even has Kodi pre installed and is PRE CONFIGURED with a network share folder. Just amazing!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login HP EliteBook 850 G3 i5-6300U 256GB M.2 16GB DDR4

Offline tinkerer

• Old guy from Scotland
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 05:14:51 AM »
Hello

Welcome to this great community.  Although I'm classed as a 'newbie', I rejoined Cup of Linux recently.  I had missed the great posts and helpful tips that this forum is so good at.  Spatry's videos contribute so much to the Linux community too.

I like you already - you're a tinkerer.  However that's where the similarity probably ends - I tend to break things that ain't broken, whereas you are trying to give old kit a new lease of life.

I'm so looking forward to reading your posts.

Best wishes
Frank
The first law of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts.
(Aldo Leopold)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 08:03:46 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself and welcome to the community. Repurposing legacy gadgets? Hmmm, I am sure a handful of distributions may be suitable.

Experimentation is KEY.

Since Linux powers many GPS devices I imagine they are running a kernel designed for the hardware they run on. You might want to look into Raspbian. At any rate, this is a great place to discuss your passion and share your insight along the way!
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 10:29:49 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
 THE MODULARITY!
Exactly right!
    Cool, you describe yourself as another me, hardware geeks are a kind. Re-purposing all I can, I have come up with some disappointments revealing the the truth of intentional obsolescence...I do have a professional history of building things into things, most often task with the "electronical" things, and the welding...I'm looking forward to another guy turning "Why would you want to do that'" into "I didn't know it could do that" and answering with a "It didn't either!"

Offline pip5528

• The Pipsqueak!!!
  • Staff Member
  • Technology nerd, audiophile, musician, gamer
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 10:55:26 AM »
Haha The experimental enthusiast type! Sounds just like me! I tinker lots and do a whole lot of DIY things myself! Welcome to the community!
My name may be Pip, but I'm not that small!

Offline Dirty Helga

• Malevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Do you feel LUCKY today?
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 11:07:27 AM »
Well, well, well, as soon as we get a new Tinkerer, the whole board seems to light up! I need one of you nincompoops to tinker 'Spatry out of existence' for your dear old Auntie Helga! (just kidding)

Welcome to the forums!
If you BREAK the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, I WILL SHOOT YOU!

Offline DPS

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 04:11:21 PM »
Oh man, thank you guys for the warm welcome! I see this is where I should have been from the start
:).
I'm about to try my first quote here, I hope I do this right :)

:)
nope, didn't work out right. what I was trying to do was quote each and every reply, separately, but not the whole reply. annnnnd, I failed lol
Just know that i did read all of your responses, and I'm ecstatic to be working with you all!

But i guess that its time for me to buck up or shut up, right? i think ill start small, and find some memory for this old IBM ThinkPad, and get it up and running. wow, i just noticed it still has the old "windont 98 SE key" stickered on the bottom.

Hello and welcome! Sounds like you may be a bit of a retro gamer. Have you tried out You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login? I just found out about it last week from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and tinkered with it over the weekend. Let's just say I now have some computer parts coming in to pair up with other parts I have lying around that will essentially form an HP 8300 USDT. I'm going to have the ultimate classic console....console I've always wanted.

The OS even has Kodi pre installed and is PRE CONFIGURED with a network share folder. Just amazing!

I think you may find it beneficial to get a hold of me sometime, I have... resources. :)
 Thank you all!
Post Script:
I promise I read everyone's response, and im taking it all in, I swear!

Post Merge: April 16, 2019, 04:12:33 PM
oh wait, so thats how you quote. so i just use the quote button, and i (if i make sure not to mess with the automated script) can shorten it manually?

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • PC PrimeApe
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
Re: Re: this is beginning to look like a renaissance
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 07:25:08 PM »
I think you may find it beneficial to get a hold of me sometime, I have... resources.

Oh I have...resources as well. About 30+GB of.....resources.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login HP EliteBook 850 G3 i5-6300U 256GB M.2 16GB DDR4

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 08:45:39 PM »
Welcome to the community DPS! Glad to have you here! :)

Offline DPS

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 01:18:23 AM »
Oh I have...resources as well. About 30+GB of.....resources.

I think we may get along just fine, brother :) .

Welcome to the community DPS! Glad to have you here! :)

Thank you! Glad to finally be here!
Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself and welcome to the community. Repurposing legacy gadgets? Hmmm, I am sure a handful of distributions may be suitable.

Experimentation is KEY.

Since Linux powers many GPS devices I imagine they are running a kernel designed for the hardware they run on. You might want to look into Raspbian. At any rate, this is a great place to discuss your passion and share your insight along the way!

Thnk you for having me!