Which Version of Manjaro...?
Welcome, Guest.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Click the CHAT button above for connection details. Show up early, seating is limited, late entries will not be registered.

Author Topic: Which Version of Manjaro...?  (Read 101 times)

Offline Vintalorian

• SIMPLE. ELEGANT. FAST. LINUX.
    • Vintalorian's Home
Which Version of Manjaro...?
« on: February 13, 2019, 11:40:25 AM »
The wife and I are getting sort of fed up with Elementary, and I think I’ve convinced her to give Manjaro a try. The only reason I didn’t put her on it before was the lack of a super user-friendly software center. I’m leaning toward Budgie, but I’d like to get an opinion from you fine folks first. I’ve been almost an exclusive Mac user for the last few years because my University plays nicer with Macs than Linux machines, so I’m a bit out of touch with the latest versions of Manjaro.

Which version do you guys recommend? Thanks.
Do the right thing. Use Linux.

Offline aDewil

• Elite Member
Re: Which Version of Manjaro...?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 01:12:05 PM »
just select desktop type which works with your mind way best.
for me kde is most best and can bend kde work perfectly how mind works and check dekstop screenshots behind link:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
look from pics how i organize clock to upper screen, notifications and app/start menu to left side screen and lastly apps and commonly used app shortcuts in bottom screens.

second best desktops are for me cinnamon and xfce (spatrys favourite), but those wont work perfectly for me my mind way.

when you mentioned budgie desktop, then why not test lumina dekstop?
if i remember right, manjaro architect edition have lumina dekstop option.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 03:58:38 PM »
The XFCE desktop has always been and will probably always be the premiere UI for Manjaro. The Manjaro team is on top of the latest GIT versions of XFCE and they are stabilized. You get a powerful GTK3 compliant desktop which is not too resource hungry and is a breeze to customize. I would suggest downloading ISOs of the different Manjaro versions and try out the different desktop options... Budgie looks nice but feels too "dumbed down" for me.
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Online fraterchaos

• Mandelbrot Metal Mayhem!
  • Staff Member
  • Never underestimate the power of human stupidity
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 09:10:33 PM »
while my own preference is to agree with Spatry and say "XFCE" there is something to be said for KDE if you want polish and extreme ease of customization...

that is the one thing I wish XFCE would do that KDE does, having the download links for themes, icons, window borders  and everything else right there in UI... and it's very polished. But of course, you pay a bit of a price in weight.
Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush

Online Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 10:52:10 PM »
I really like Manjaro GNOME and Budgie projects (and to an extent KDE). Definitely feel like a lot of effort was put into both and it shows. Although, I'll tend to lean more towards Manjaro GNOME and/or Budge projects as I prefer simplicity over an abundance of features being all shown to me at the same time such as within the KDE Settings Panel or Dolphin file manager.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Col.Linux

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 01:14:13 AM »
I have also really enjoyed XFCE and Manjaro for a long time.  It seems like the simplicity keeps me happy.

Good Luck OP

Offline Vintalorian

• SIMPLE. ELEGANT. FAST. LINUX.
    • Vintalorian's Home
« Reply #6 on: Today at 11:37:31 AM »
I’ve been experimenting with Manjaro KDE. So far so good. Looks solid, runs well... We’ll see.
Do the right thing. Use Linux.