Which Version of Manjaro...?
Welcome, Guest.

Something to Think About:

The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it. --Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: Which Version of Manjaro...?  (Read 430 times)

Offline Vintalorian

• SIMPLE. ELEGANT. FAST. LINUX.
    • Vintalorian's Home
Which Version of Manjaro...?
« on: February 13, 2019, 11:40:25 AM »
The wife and I are getting sort of fed up with Elementary, and I think I’ve convinced her to give Manjaro a try. The only reason I didn’t put her on it before was the lack of a super user-friendly software center. I’m leaning toward Budgie, but I’d like to get an opinion from you fine folks first. I’ve been almost an exclusive Mac user for the last few years because my University plays nicer with Macs than Linux machines, so I’m a bit out of touch with the latest versions of Manjaro.

Which version do you guys recommend? Thanks.
Do the right thing. Use Linux.

Offline aDewil

• Elite Member
Re: Which Version of Manjaro...?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 01:12:05 PM »
just select desktop type which works with your mind way best.
for me kde is most best and can bend kde work perfectly how mind works and check dekstop screenshots behind link:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
look from pics how i organize clock to upper screen, notifications and app/start menu to left side screen and lastly apps and commonly used app shortcuts in bottom screens.

second best desktops are for me cinnamon and xfce (spatrys favourite), but those wont work perfectly for me my mind way.

when you mentioned budgie desktop, then why not test lumina dekstop?
if i remember right, manjaro architect edition have lumina dekstop option.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 03:58:38 PM »
The XFCE desktop has always been and will probably always be the premiere UI for Manjaro. The Manjaro team is on top of the latest GIT versions of XFCE and they are stabilized. You get a powerful GTK3 compliant desktop which is not too resource hungry and is a breeze to customize. I would suggest downloading ISOs of the different Manjaro versions and try out the different desktop options... Budgie looks nice but feels too "dumbed down" for me.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline fraterchaos

• Mandelbrot Metal Mayhem!
  • Staff Member
  • Never underestimate the power of human stupidity
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 09:10:33 PM »
while my own preference is to agree with Spatry and say "XFCE" there is something to be said for KDE if you want polish and extreme ease of customization...

that is the one thing I wish XFCE would do that KDE does, having the download links for themes, icons, window borders  and everything else right there in UI... and it's very polished. But of course, you pay a bit of a price in weight.
Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 10:52:10 PM »
I really like Manjaro GNOME and Budgie projects (and to an extent KDE). Definitely feel like a lot of effort was put into both and it shows. Although, I'll tend to lean more towards Manjaro GNOME and/or Budge projects as I prefer simplicity over an abundance of features being all shown to me at the same time such as within the KDE Settings Panel or Dolphin file manager.

Offline Col.Linux

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 01:14:13 AM »
I have also really enjoyed XFCE and Manjaro for a long time.  It seems like the simplicity keeps me happy.

Good Luck OP

Offline Vintalorian

• Vintalorian's Home
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 11:37:31 AM »
I’ve been experimenting with Manjaro KDE. So far so good. Looks solid, runs well... We’ll see.

[EDIT]
So I like Manjaro KDE. I’ve installed it on MY machines. My wife has not. Lol. She decided that it wasn’t worth the effort of switching, which is fair, I suppose. Oh well. At least I got a neat experience out of it. And I’ll be honest, Manjaro KDE is one of the best KDE implementations I’ve seen in a while. KDE Neon always had some issues for me. I could never get some of the theming to look right (though, I am lazy, and I don’t like to have to fiddle with things that much to get things looking the way I want them to look). The default Manjaro theme when used with its dark color scheme is very solid. Good work boys.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 06:48:36 PM »
I need to try Manjaro KDE... The only thing holding me back is WHISKER! I just love that little menu!
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Vintalorian

• Vintalorian's Home
Re: Re: Which Version of Manjaro...?
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 01:20:47 PM »
I need to try Manjaro KDE... The only thing holding me back is WHISKER! I just love that little menu!

Understandable... Whisker is killer. I'm not a huge fan of the default menu on KDE either, but I guess it gets the job done. The KDE version is very solid. I like it a lot. Honestly, I got bored over time because it was stable and it made sense lol. I ended up putting Fedora 29 on my machine, and it has performed very well in my tests so far. Who knows, maybe I'll go that route with the Mrs.

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
Re: Re: Which Version of Manjaro...?
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 12:28:01 AM »
In defense of XFCE, there is an option that's almost as easy.  You can download and just drop the archive file into the dialogs to install them into your local user account.  If you want to install them system-wide, that requires manually copying them.

while my own preference is to agree with Spatry and say "XFCE" there is something to be said for KDE if you want polish and extreme ease of customization...

that is the one thing I wish XFCE would do that KDE does, having the download links for themes, icons, window borders  and everything else right there in UI... and it's very polished. But of course, you pay a bit of a price in weight.
If you must persist, I will be forced to tar you, then gzip you and finally umount you.

Offline Vintalorian

• Vintalorian's Home
Re: Re: Re: Which Version of Manjaro...?
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 10:01:28 AM »
In defense of XFCE, there is an option that's almost as easy.  You can download and just drop the archive file into the dialogs to install them into your local user account.  If you want to install them system-wide, that requires manually copying them.

But I think, in general, XFCE itself just has less polish than KDE does, and that's a direct result of it being so lightweight. KDE is more comparable to the likes of Windows 10 and macOS in terms of the eye-candy, which matters more to people than it really should IMO, but it is what it is. That being said, the fact that XFCE is being compared to KDE directly is actually a pitch FOR XFCE. I would never have put XFCE and KDE in the same category in the past. That would be like comparing LXDE and GNOME to me. They kind of serve different purposes. They're very different beasts. The fact that XFCE can hold its own against DE's like KDE and GNOME is really a testament to how good it has become. It has almost all of the features of the mainline heavyweight distros, but it uses SIGNIFICANTLY less RAM. That's impressive if you ask me.

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
Re: Re: Re: Re: Which Version of Manjaro...?
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 02:53:18 PM »
But I think, in general, XFCE itself just has less polish than KDE does, and that's a direct result of it being so lightweight. KDE is more comparable to the likes of Windows 10 and macOS in terms of the eye-candy, which matters more to people than it really should IMO, but it is what it is. That being said, the fact that XFCE is being compared to KDE directly is actually a pitch FOR XFCE. I would never have put XFCE and KDE in the same category in the past. That would be like comparing LXDE and GNOME to me. They kind of serve different purposes. They're very different beasts. The fact that XFCE can hold its own against DE's like KDE and GNOME is really a testament to how good it has become. It has almost all of the features of the mainline heavyweight distros, but it uses SIGNIFICANTLY less RAM. That's impressive if you ask me.
actually vint kde plasma has been using less ram then xfce.
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.

Offline The Tinkerer

• Old guy from Scotland
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 02:53:58 PM »
It's Xfce for me, I just love the whisker menu. I have a weird mix for my desktop appearance though...I like the Ubuntu icons (humanity-icon-theme) and the Gorilla Matcha-Azul xfwm4-theme.
The first law of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts.
(Aldo Leopold)

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Which Version of Manjaro...?
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2019, 11:22:36 AM »

I heard that floating around that the Plasma desktop has gotten a lot lighter. Going to have to check it out here when I have some time. Been in kind of a mad rush to get this school semester over. Couple of difficult certs and only 12 weeks left.

Offline Vintalorian

• Vintalorian's Home
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Which Version of Manjaro...?
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 11:10:56 AM »

Wow! I’ll have to check that out. I would never have guessed that. Is it that XFCE is getting heavier or that KDE is getting lighter? Or both?