issues with xfce4 sensors panel plufg-in
Welcome, Guest.
The Chatroom is BACK! --Spatry

Author Topic: issues with xfce4 sensors panel plufg-in  (Read 622 times)

Offline fraterchaos

• Mandelbrot Metal Mayhem!
  • Staff Member
  • Never underestimate the power of human stupidity
« on: February 11, 2019, 11:42:11 PM »
ok, not sure if this is the best palace to post this, or if I should have put it under Manjaro only, as it's happening on my Manjaro set up... but it's not really a Manjaro specific issue, so here goes...

I'm using the xfce4 panel plug-in called sensor plug-in that can display various sensor readings as text or graphic bars on the panel. It works fine except that it always defaults to the wrong settings.

I am using the atk0110-0 and radeon-100 settings to monitor my CPU, GPU and MB temps. But whenever I boot up, the atk0110-0 monitor defaults to showing the CPU Core voltage, and the MB temp, NOT the CPU temp and MB temp like I want, and I have to manually change it every time I boot.

I've tried looking up the . file for sensors in my home folder and manually altering it, but it seems to do no good, even going as far as the file I alter either getting re-written back to the wrong settings, or staying as I modified it but having no effect... I even tried setting that file to read only so the system could not modify it back to it's preferred defaults, but even that doesn't help.

At one point, for a few days, I seemed to have had it fixed, after altering that . file repeatedly, but then after a few days of working right, it reverted back.

Anybody have any idea what could be causing this? Is there some master settings file in a system folder that it's writing over my modified version? And why won't is just accept my changes from within the widget the way it should? Every time I boot I have to manually un-check the CPU Core voltage display, check the CPU Temp display, and change the top value for it from 38 c to 60 c.

I would really like to be able to stop having to adjust this every time I boot...
Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
Re: issues with xfce4 sensors panel plufg-in
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 01:52:01 AM »
I don't know if I can diagnose the problem.  But I might suggest a possible workaround.

Have you thought to make backup copies of the configuration files that keep changing in another location and then putting a script to copy those backup files into place during the xfce startup process?  It's not an elegant solution but maybe it might at least alleviate your headache.
If you must persist, I will be forced to tar you, then gzip you and finally umount you.

Offline fraterchaos

• Staff Member
Re: Re: issues with xfce4 sensors panel plufg-in
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 02:10:42 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I don't know if I can diagnose the problem.  But I might suggest a possible workaround.

Have you thought to make backup copies of the configuration files that keep changing in another location and then putting a script to copy those backup files into place during the xfce startup process?  It's not an elegant solution but maybe it might at least alleviate your headache.

I suppose that might work, only I'm not sure I'm competent to write such a script.

The strnage thing I just found after posting this question is the Psensors log file (psensor being the actual sensing program that the xfce plug-in uses to get the data) shows there is no psensor.cfg file and says that's an error. But I have no idea what a valid psensor.cfg file would look like. So I can't just create one. TRied re-installing psensor and got a version from the AUR... as far as I can tell, psensor is no longer included in the standard repos
Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 11:36:54 AM »
Have you ran through sensors-detect and audited things? I've seen default modules load with partial hardware coverage that is further covered in a different module, and they conflict. I've also seen 'distros' blacklist modules, in one example 'blacklist i2c_i801' present in ubuntu's drove me batty. Loading manually or with script was a bandaid to make the setting stick but it skips the cause, that blacklist.

I think a take away is if you can manually set it up and it doesn't stick, you have a error in the loop somewhere. Scan your logs.

Offline fraterchaos

• Staff Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 08:03:39 PM »
Have you ran through sensors-detect and audited things? I've seen default modules load with partial hardware coverage that is further covered in a different module, and they conflict. I've also seen 'distros' blacklist modules, in one example 'blacklist i2c_i801' present in ubuntu's drove me batty. Loading manually or with script was a bandaid to make the setting stick but it skips the cause, that blacklist.

I think a take away is if you can manually set it up and it doesn't stick, you have a error in the loop somewhere. Scan your logs.

I'm a little lost on what all that means.

sensors-detect? what is that and where do I find it? It's not reporting any failure to load any kernel modules at boot time (except virtualbox modules, and it's always done that)

Also what logs would I check? I've checked the psensor log file and it shows I lack a psensors.cfg file. (as stated above). I have no idea what a psensors.cfg file should look like or what it would contain... so I don't know how to create one. No idea why it's not creating one itself, seems like it should.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 08:17:38 PM »
When making the configuration READ ONLY did you set Owner access to NONE? Others: none and read only for your user?
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline fraterchaos

• Staff Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 08:55:48 PM »
When making the configuration READ ONLY did you set Owner access to NONE? Others: none and read only for your user?

it's currently set to
Owner is my user and has read and write permissions
belongs to a group with the same name as my user
Access is read only
and Others is read only

I'll try setting it to none and see if that helps

EDIT: ok, tried setting all access to none and it seems to keep the file from being altered... but makes no difference when i boot up. I still have the sensors widget defaulting to CPU Core Voltage instead of CPU Temp, and reverting to 38 c max temp...

It seems to be ignoring the xfce4-sensors-plugin-14.rc file entirely... but there's no other config file I can find for it
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 09:14:08 PM by fraterchaos »

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 09:35:08 PM »
If this is not Manjaro centric and you do use lm-sensors(?), from that package, 'sensors-detect' ran in a root terminal will guide correct detection of sensors and give you a module list to use and add to /etc/modules.
I can't give  an example with the suggested list at the end...

Code: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
root@i386:~# sensors-detect
# sensors-detect revision $Revision$
# System: QEMU Standard PC (Q35 + ICH9, 2009) [pc-q35-2.8]
# Kernel: 4.19.0-2-686-pae i686
# Processor: Intel Xeon E312xx (Sandy Bridge) (6/42/1)

This program will help you determine which kernel modules you need
to load to use lm_sensors most effectively. It is generally safe
and recommended to accept the default answers to all questions,
unless you know what you're doing.

Some south bridges, CPUs or memory controllers contain embedded sensors.
Do you want to scan for them? This is totally safe. (YES/no): n

Some Super I/O chips contain embedded sensors. We have to write to
standard I/O ports to probe them. This is usually safe.
Do you want to scan for Super I/O sensors? (YES/no): n

Some systems (mainly servers) implement IPMI, a set of common interfaces
through which system health data may be retrieved, amongst other things.
We first try to get the information from SMBIOS. If we don't find it
there, we have to read from arbitrary I/O ports to probe for such
interfaces. This is normally safe. Do you want to scan for IPMI
interfaces? (YES/no): n

Some hardware monitoring chips are accessible through the ISA I/O ports.
We have to write to arbitrary I/O ports to probe them. This is usually
safe though. Yes, you do have ISA I/O ports even if you do not have any
ISA slots! Do you want to scan the ISA I/O ports? (YES/no): n

Lastly, we can probe the I2C/SMBus adapters for connected hardware
monitoring devices. This is the most risky part, and while it works
reasonably well on most systems, it has been reported to cause trouble
on some systems.
Do you want to probe the I2C/SMBus adapters now? (YES/no): n
Sorry, no sensors were detected.
Either your system has no sensors, or they are not supported, or
they are connected to an I2C or SMBus adapter that is not
supported. If you find out what chips are on your board, check
https://hwmon.wiki.kernel.org/device_support_status for driver status.
/var/log/kern.log should show the sequence of modules loaded, errors and responses. and ranges.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 07:18:29 AM »
It seems that sensor issues is a common trend on XFCE as of late... are any of you filing BUG REPORTS so that these issues can be fixed?
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 10:43:24 AM »
I had promised to look at psensor again but haven't. As seen in my terminal shot there, VM's don't lend themselves to sensor testing. I have been on other missions and the single bare metal machine doing all this hasn't been changed for months. I looked on it for a log example and it was a tangent, the hypervisor gets spammed with unhandled rdmsr lines.

Anyway, on the boards I work with there are extra sensors hooked to ipmi, i2s, and other odd paths that have needed to be clarified by the sensor-detect process I tried to explain. By default, all distros I've ever ran have shown basic sensor info that was incomplete or curiously wrong. After a lmsensor 'sensor-detect' run, and then the recommended changes to what extra modules are added to the file etc/modules, then the full array is correct,

Since I roll my own maybe I'm not seeing issues that are distro specific. From nothing I *promise* my path is working, from a given distro there is always something to redo or undo and there I can't help.

Since linux in general has more than one path to use, there are choices. It is my take that you can run without lmsensors and have sensor output. However, something like psensor does not change the lower level configuration. A 'full audit' is running sensors-detect. No files should need editing! Only the module list should need the additions suggested by the detect run. The example of editing the temp range to me suggest you are running on the wrong module, or default module. So far, I don't see a specific xfce issue?

Offline fraterchaos

• Staff Member
EDIT: [solved?] Re: Re: issues with xfce4 sensors panel plufg-in
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 09:15:25 PM »
If this is not Manjaro centric and you do use lm-sensors(?), from that package, 'sensors-detect' ran in a root terminal will guide correct detection of sensors and give you a module list to use and add to /etc/modules.
I can't give  an example with the suggested list at the end...

I'll give that a try, but I don't really think that's the problem as the sensors all work fine... it's just a matter of the panel plug-in not letting me save the configuration. I'm not sure how undetected sensors would cause that, especially since the sensors themselves work and read out just fine.

I'm really wondering if the culprit isn't some default config file stored in a system folder that is being used instead of the one in my ~home folder... if it were reading a basic defaults file, instead of my altered one, that would explain everything.

EDIT: Additional info as of 3.4.2019

I just wanted to add this since this thread is being linked in another concerning a similar issue..

Since I originally posted on this, something has happened that fixed the issue, I am not sure what, as I didn't do anything different. I assume one of the recent rounds of updates must have fixed whatever was wrong with Psensor plug-in in Manjaro not saving the settings you had chosen.

It has been working correctly for about a week or so now. If you are experiencing issues, make sure you are using the xfce4-sensors-plugon version 1.3.92 (the latest for Manjaro, I believe) and (hopefully) it will fix the issues.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 11:28:47 PM by fraterchaos »