XFCE sometimes it annoys me
Welcome, Guest.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Click the CHAT button above for connection details. Show up early, seating is limited, late entries will not be registered.

Author Topic: XFCE sometimes it annoys me  (Read 52 times)

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
XFCE sometimes it annoys me
« on: January 12, 2019, 07:42:24 PM »
There is a lot of things about xfce that I love.  But there are a few things that annoy me.

For some reason when I open up multiple windows the order of them on the panel doesn't always make sense to me.  I've tried all the different settings and yet nothing seems solve the problem for me.

Window Sizes.  Somehow I manage to get my text editor full screen, and the next time
I use it, it almost always opens as full screen.  I understand that it should remember what size you last used it.  But I rather be able to set the size I would prefer it to open in, and then maximize it when I need it to be. 

I've been wondering if there is a way to set a shortcut key for making the open windows automatically tile.

Offline CwF

Re: XFCE sometimes it annoys me
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 12:50:37 PM »
Is the panel order you speak of using 'window buttons'?  They can be reordered thru drag and drop.
Window Sizes; many programs will take a command line argument for window geometry. For those you can modify the launchers.
I think there are more in the category of wmctrl, I cant remember...but I looked at the question of sending things to the correct monitor, similar question...

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 01:16:26 PM »
XFCE will remember window placement and sizing on applications which are part of the desktop... so it will remember your Thunar (file manager) preference. You can also define window placement either under the mouse pointer or center of the screen. Applications which are not part of XFCE may exhibit their own behavior.
Example: Sublime text will remember the window size and position onscreen the next time it is opened.
Such behaviors are defined by the applications themselves and XFCE will not take control over them. There is a cost for being a mid to lightweight desktop.
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 08:31:09 PM »
I don't know.  I'm going to be playing around with i3 and openbox soon.

Offline fraterchaos

• Mandelbrot Metal Mayhem!
  • Staff Member
  • Never underestimate the power of human stupidity
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 09:32:05 PM »
of course Compiz (with XFCE or any other DE) will let you specify window size and placement to a "T" (assuming you can figure out the proper method of doing the specifying as in window classes)

but yeah, it's not all that easy to do, and it applies to any DE that you can use Compiz with, so not specifically an XFCE thing... but there it is
Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush