XFCE sometimes it annoys me
Welcome, Guest.
See, you not only have to be a good coder to create a system like Linux, you have to be a sneaky bastard too. --Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: XFCE sometimes it annoys me  (Read 576 times)

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
XFCE sometimes it annoys me
« on: January 12, 2019, 07:42:24 PM »
There is a lot of things about xfce that I love.  But there are a few things that annoy me.

For some reason when I open up multiple windows the order of them on the panel doesn't always make sense to me.  I've tried all the different settings and yet nothing seems solve the problem for me.

Window Sizes.  Somehow I manage to get my text editor full screen, and the next time
I use it, it almost always opens as full screen.  I understand that it should remember what size you last used it.  But I rather be able to set the size I would prefer it to open in, and then maximize it when I need it to be. 

I've been wondering if there is a way to set a shortcut key for making the open windows automatically tile.

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
Re: XFCE sometimes it annoys me
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 12:50:37 PM »
Is the panel order you speak of using 'window buttons'?  They can be reordered thru drag and drop.
Window Sizes; many programs will take a command line argument for window geometry. For those you can modify the launchers.
I think there are more in the category of wmctrl, I cant remember...but I looked at the question of sending things to the correct monitor, similar question...

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 01:16:26 PM »
XFCE will remember window placement and sizing on applications which are part of the desktop... so it will remember your Thunar (file manager) preference. You can also define window placement either under the mouse pointer or center of the screen. Applications which are not part of XFCE may exhibit their own behavior.
Example: Sublime text will remember the window size and position onscreen the next time it is opened.
Such behaviors are defined by the applications themselves and XFCE will not take control over them. There is a cost for being a mid to lightweight desktop.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 08:31:09 PM »
I don't know.  I'm going to be playing around with i3 and openbox soon.

Offline fraterchaos

• Mandelbrot Metal Mayhem!
  • Staff Member
  • Never underestimate the power of human stupidity
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 09:32:05 PM »
of course Compiz (with XFCE or any other DE) will let you specify window size and placement to a "T" (assuming you can figure out the proper method of doing the specifying as in window classes)

but yeah, it's not all that easy to do, and it applies to any DE that you can use Compiz with, so not specifically an XFCE thing... but there it is
Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
Re: Re: XFCE sometimes it annoys me
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 05:26:10 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
of course Compiz (with XFCE or any other DE) will let you specify window size and placement to a "T" (assuming you can figure out the proper method of doing the specifying as in window classes)

but yeah, it's not all that easy to do, and it applies to any DE that you can use Compiz with, so not specifically an XFCE thing... but there it is

I'm trying to stay away from compiz.  I ran it on Manjaro and got into some problems.  I've tried running on some other distros and got into some problems there as well.  I started scratching my head and saying "why am I doing this to myself?"  lol 

I'm testing out window grouping again.  That seems to have helped the panel problem some.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 07:33:33 AM »
Compiz in the repos SUCKS! You want You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login... They took Compiz 8 and gave it a major overhaul! It is still being actively developed too!

Offline fraterchaos

• Staff Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 11:06:11 AM »
Compiz in the repos SUCKS! You want You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login... They took Compiz 8 and gave it a major overhaul! It is still being actively developed too!

definitely agree on that Spatry... I only use Compiz-Reloaded, but I neglected to type out the full name just because it was so much extra typing.

It can be confusing to use, especially if you're new to it and especially specially for some of the advanced stuff like custom window placements, but I feel like it's well worth learning how to do things with it.

Then again, I suppose it's not for everyone.

Although I think one mistake people tend to make is thinking you have to use all the eye candy, or that that is all it's good for. Not at all the case... you might only use one or two of it's features, but they may well be features that no other compositor has available.
Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 11:56:43 AM »
If I was going to use compiz-reloaded I'd need to be able to replace the compiz that comes with Linux Mint, or add it to XUbuntu 18.04.1 or maybe Linux Lite, or maybe MX Linux.  I won't be using it with Manjaro since I don't use Manjaro anymore.  But I wanted you guys to realize that I gave compiz a fair shake on Manjaro for an entire Month.  It looked cool, and I know there are some useful features.  But after that first time of getting it working, all the other times I tried to install it, it failed me.  Also compiz scares me. Why would they keep developing something that almost nobody seems to be using anymore?  I mean back in the day when I first started in linux, almost every Linux youtuber had it running.  It's been years since I've seen anyone use it.

The Last time I tried out the stock compiz on Linux Mint XFCE, it changed somethings on my panel.  I tried to get those features back and as long as I was in compiz I couldn't.  So I abandoned it. 

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 02:26:35 PM »
Everything you need to know about installing compiz-reloaded can be found You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login on this forum... The scripts which work on ANY distribution can be found on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. I used the same scripts to install it on my manjaro box and that is the version I am actively using... I imagine there may be some updated scripts in the wild but what I have works...

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 05:25:48 PM »
Everything you need to know about installing compiz-reloaded can be found You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login on this forum... The scripts which work on ANY distribution can be found on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. I used the same scripts to install it on my manjaro box and that is the version I am actively using... I imagine there may be some updated scripts in the wild but what I have works...

Ok Spatry, If I get time to create a test drive of some distro.  I'll try it out just for you!  lol

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 08:39:00 PM »
Don't do it for ME... the information is given for your benefit not mine, LOL.

Offline fraterchaos

• Staff Member
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 09:07:06 PM »
I take issue with he claim that nobody is using Compiz. A lot of people are, and some may not even know it.

Just because somebody isn't doing a "desktop cube" or Wall or wobbly windows doesn't mean they don't have it installed. In fact, for the longest time,. all the standard Ubuntus (with Unity) used it as the main WM/DE... whether the user was aware of that or not.

The best way to set up a Compiz-Reloaded desktop is to start with a fresh install of your preferred distro WITHOUT Compiz. DO NOT try to replace normal Compiz with Compiz-Reloaded, start with Reloaded and save a LOT of hassle.

Follow Spatry's instructions or use one of the scripts and you should have no issues. I usually skip the scripts and just do the "yaourt xxxx" package by package cause that's not really that hard (you can even copy/paste right from the forums)  but that's only going to work in Arch based systems. Still, doing it via the scripts or whatever the easiest way for your distro, make sure it's on a clean install, and not trying to replace a standard Compiz install, and it will save you heartache.

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2019, 04:41:57 PM »
I take issue with he claim that nobody is using Compiz. A lot of people are, and some may not even know it.

Just because somebody isn't doing a "desktop cube" or Wall or wobbly windows doesn't mean they don't have it installed. In fact, for the longest time,. all the standard Ubuntus (with Unity) used it as the main WM/DE... whether the user was aware of that or not.

The best way to set up a Compiz-Reloaded desktop is to start with a fresh install of your preferred distro WITHOUT Compiz. DO NOT try to replace normal Compiz with Compiz-Reloaded, start with Reloaded and save a LOT of hassle.

Follow Spatry's instructions or use one of the scripts and you should have no issues. I usually skip the scripts and just do the "yaourt xxxx" package by package cause that's not really that hard (you can even copy/paste right from the forums)  but that's only going to work in Arch based systems. Still, doing it via the scripts or whatever the easiest way for your distro, make sure it's on a clean install, and not trying to replace a standard Compiz install, and it will save you heartache.

Bryan Lunduke answered a question that someone asked about why nobody is using Compiz anymore.  It's true that I don't see people showing it off anymore.  I actually like the effects and eye candy of compiz, and I saw a video once that showed how you could set up shortcuts to make your desktop more productive with it.  I don't know if those same tricks work with compiz reloaded or not.  Currently I'm undecided about distros.  What I can report is I've been experimenting with xubuntu 18.04.1 and I've been liking the experience I'm having.  So If I'm going to try compiz reloaded that would probably be the distro I would try it on.

I won't run arch based stuff because I don't have time to be fixing updates.  I've learned from experience that I can run either Linux Mint or Linux Lite with my eyes closed.

One more thing I want to say about xfce.  I'm not sure that I've figured out how to optimize it for my work flow.  Sometimes I think I'm just missing something somewhere that I could do differently....

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2019, 06:47:55 AM »
People may not be showing compiz off anymore, but it is still being actively developed =D