Post some of your "D'oh" moments
Welcome, Guest.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Click the CHAT button above for connection details. Show up early, seating is limited, late entries will not be registered.

Author Topic: Post some of your "D'oh" moments  (Read 57 times)

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
Post some of your "D'oh" moments
« on: January 12, 2019, 06:56:50 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Code: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Definition of d'oh

—used to express sudden recognition of a foolish blunder or an ironic turn of events
First Known Use of d'oh

1945, in the meaning defined above

I just had an idea for a thread.  I make an awful lot of stupid mistakes.  Mostly due to memory problems.  This past week or so I was working on some music.  I was doing some experimentation with mp3s:  Windows Vs Linux.  I had forgotten that I used one of my usb drives to copy the music to my external back up hard drives.  I normally use that drive for temporary music and podcasts to play in my car.  Today I cleared out my music directory and installed some of my 128s that I created on Windows 7.  I thought it was already to go, but I had forgotten that I also still had a project 128 directory which had some of the same music, only in a higher bit rate.  When I was driving down the road, listening to my music, all of a sudden it started playing the same songs twice!  It wasn't until I got home that I could plug it into my computer to see what on earth was going on!  What makes this story even worse is the fact I know I've made this mistake before.  I guess I didn't learn my lesson.  D'oh!

If you don't mind sharing some of your D'oh moments.  Go ahead and post them here.

Offline CwF

Re: Post some of your "D'oh" moments
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 12:27:30 PM »
I'm a genuine Mr. Memento. So I keep Cherry Tree files, good program. In my master file documenting all I know of Linux there are multiple duplicate entries. I do things over often, not intentionally. Just the other day I found a host file entry with all the script info to set up multiple host files and dynamically switch, a recent quest of yours. I only remember giving up on the idea, as I hinted in that thread. So when I ran across that, coincidently with your mention, I realize I don't remember setting that up. I can only surmise I purged the memory to learn a new recipe...kept in a different ct file.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 12:40:18 PM »
"Post some of your "D'oh" moments"
First time: The day I started "Cup of Linux"
Second time: The day I built this website!
ROFL

Come to think of it... I have an endless supply of D'oh moments, unfortunately, Dirty Helga will BEAT ME if I post them all here!
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline Dirty Helga

• Malevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Do you feel LUCKY today?
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 12:43:08 PM »
Come to think of it... I have an endless supply of D'oh moments, unfortunately, Dirty Helga will BEAT ME if I post them all here!
DAMM RIGHT, I WILL! I should beat you for THINKING about it! HAH!
If you BREAK the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, I WILL SHOOT YOU!

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
Re: Re: Post some of your "D'oh" moments
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 09:23:01 PM »
DAMM RIGHT, I WILL! I should beat you for THINKING about it! HAH!

Ahhh, I'm love how you stick up for your friends.  :)

Offline MrCoe

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 01:01:05 AM »
My favorite DOH! moment is:

Spent 2 hours installing arch linux with luks encryption (just to see if i could do it), booted up at the end and realised my systemd-boot entry was incorrect and my home directory was not placed on the right drive.

Lesson learned don't linux after midnight without coffee !!!
“The thing with technology is if you do something stupid you can fix it.”

Offline Will

• Spatry's Tardis Operator
  • Contributor
Re: Re: Post some of your "D'oh" moments
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 09:26:06 PM »
My favorite DOH! moment is:

Spent 2 hours installing arch linux with luks encryption (just to see if i could do it), booted up at the end and realised my systemd-boot entry was incorrect and my home directory was not placed on the right drive.

Lesson learned don't linux after midnight without coffee !!!

I've managed to screw up systemd-boot more times than I can count! I end up putting the entry in the loader.conf most of the time, then wondering why it doesn't boot, then having to chroot back in feeling stupid.
AMD Ryzen 5 1600, 16GB(8x8), 500GB 850 EVO + 2x1TB Seagate, RX 580 - Win10 :(
Thinkpad T440p, i5-4300m, 8GB(4x4), 240GB Sandisk SSD - Gentoo