Well Spatry U Got Me
Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: Well Spatry U Got Me  (Read 119 times)

Offline DQSII

Well Spatry U Got Me
« on: September 15, 2018, 01:15:35 PM »
After U Mentioned Why I clutered My System With Malware 10 i backed up my important videos my storage drive and wiped malware 10 in favor of calculate linux aka gentoo :D

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Well Spatry U Got Me
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 02:03:03 PM »
And next thing we will see is.... Ohhhhh I need program X and it will not run on Linux so now I need to bork my linux installation so that I can install Windows on top of Calculate <shakes head>
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline DQSII

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 02:06:32 PM »
actually no  ive found everything for linux that i need on a daily basis i just wanted windows for gaming since i didn't use steam i watch games at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login more these days spatry :D

Offline Dirty Helga

• Malevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Do you feel LUCKY today?
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 02:06:42 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
And next thing we will see is.... Ohhhhh I need program X and it will not run on Linux so now I need to bork my linux installation so that I can install Windows on top of Calculate <shakes head>
Like you have never done that before! DON'T LIE! You know you put a windows partition on that old box of yours for gaming! HAH!
If you BREAK the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, I WILL SHOOT YOU!

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 02:08:00 PM »
Helga! Do all of us a favor and switch to:
OSX!
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline DQSII

Re: Re: Well Spatry U Got Me
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 02:10:19 PM »

So i havent needed windows in a long time spatry i just use it when i get in a gaming mood witch is not much cause i watch em over at twitch tv more than anything now :o

Offline fraterchaos

• Mandelbrot Metal Mayhem!
  • Staff Member
  • Never underestimate the power of human stupidity
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 12:14:57 AM »
I have my own solution to this issue...

I am currently in the process of moving, and once I do, I plan on setting up my old Dell Vostro 200, and installing Win XP on it. It won't be connected to the internet, so no issues with malware or outdated security.

The reason I plan to do this is I have a few graphics tools that I cannot get to work under WINE or in VirtualBox (Daz Studio, PolyBrush, and Bryce 6 works better under native windows, although it will work in WINE... it just acts clunky and the menus are all off)

I figure this solves all the problems. No Malware 10, no worries about M$ updating stuff when I'm trying to work, no M$ crap polluting my "pure" linux boxes. I can transfer files with my Passport drive or a USB stick.

Of course, this solution only works if you've got some old working hardware around that you don't use, and that is capable to run whatever M$ software it is you are trying to run...
Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush

Offline DQSII

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 01:23:17 AM »

I am currently in the process of moving, and once I do, I plan on setting up my old Dell Vostro 200, and installing Win XP on it. It won't be connected to the internet, so no issues with malware or outdated security.

The reason I plan to do this is I have a few graphics tools that I cannot get to work under WINE or in VirtualBox (Daz Studio, PolyBrush, and Bryce 6 works better under native windows, although it will work in WINE... it just acts clunky and the menus are all off)

I figure this solves all the problems. No Malware 10, no worries about M$ updating stuff when I'm trying to work, no M$ crap polluting my "pure" linux boxes. I can transfer files with my Passport drive or a USB stick.

Of course, this solution only works if you've got some old working hardware around that you don't use, and that is capable to run whatever M$ software it is you are trying to run...

The thing is i don't game much and i found all the M$ solutions i need in linux 

Offline CwF

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 01:50:44 PM »

If I could suggest KVM with a passed video card... This would require a desktop of sorts to accommodate the video card, but it can put all your workflow on one machine.

As noted before, I use XP heavily on a daily basis. I went through the steps for programs that will never have a linux equivalent. I'll admit that it works so well it made me lazy finding some crossovers. But, really, when it works it works.

One machine seamless, doing what I need it to do.

For games I do use a real XP box. But for your applications the hardware assisted approach would do well.

Offline fraterchaos

• Staff Member
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 05:49:35 PM »
If I could suggest KVM with a passed video card... This would require a desktop of sorts to accommodate the video card, but it can put all your workflow on one machine.

As noted before, I use XP heavily on a daily basis. I went through the steps for programs that will never have a linux equivalent. I'll admit that it works so well it made me lazy finding some crossovers. But, really, when it works it works.

One machine seamless, doing what I need it to do.

For games I do use a real XP box. But for your applications the hardware assisted approach would do well.

well, VirtualBox doesn't do pass through video (yet) and I don't really feel like learning some other Virtualizing software.

It's just easier to use a separate machine, seeing as how I have one that's not being used for anything at all at the moment.
Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 08:09:02 PM »
You would think by now that Virtualbox would have enabled VGA pass-through... I do know that in order to have that capability you would need the hardware and a kernel which supports it... 

Offline DQSII

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 02:08:30 AM »
btw spatry i play arcade games they are funner than home ports imho

Offline fraterchaos

• Staff Member
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 08:08:26 PM »
You would think by now that Virtualbox would have enabled VGA pass-through... I do know that in order to have that capability you would need the hardware and a kernel which supports it...

yeah, I am kind of surprised by that myself.

It would be nice if they enabled it, as that program I mention "Polybrush" is a very cool thing that lets you paint with 3D shapes as brushes, great for creating weird alien characters and stuff.

But it simply will not run in WINE or Windows 7 in VB, because of VB not having pass through.

The creator originally said he planned to write a Linux Version, but as far as I can tell, he hasn't even updated the Windows one for a year or more.