Suggestion for all: We all pitch in for spatry!!!
Welcome, Guest.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Join us Saturday on our Mumble Chat Server at 8PM EST for
Cup of Linux GAME NIGHT
Let's get the ball rolling on this one... Win prizes, HAVE FUN!

Author Topic: Suggestion for all: We all pitch in for spatry!!!  (Read 607 times)

Offline MrCoe

Suggestion for all: We all pitch in for spatry!!!
« on: August 08, 2018, 02:02:17 AM »
Hey All

I just read in another post that spatry is out of action due to some hardware troubles, i'd personally like to see him back online again, im willing to get the ball rolling on donating, whose with me ?

Cheers

Ryan
“The thing with technology is if you do something stupid you can fix it.”

Offline fraterchaos

• Mandelbrot Metal Mayhem!
  • Staff Member
  • Never underestimate the power of human stupidity
Re: Suggestion for all: We all pitch in for spatry!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 08:46:36 PM »
right at this moment, I'm not really in the position to do much.

if things change, I will try to help.
Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 10:16:44 AM »
I've made this suggestion as well and would be willing to kick in a few bucks.
If you must persist, I will be forced to tar you, then gzip you and finally umount you.

Online Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 07:07:31 AM »
I am trying to put a little aside each month until I can afford another machine... it is gonna be a while for sure....
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline fraterchaos

• Mandelbrot Metal Mayhem!
  • Staff Member
  • Never underestimate the power of human stupidity
Re: Re: Suggestion for all: We all pitch in for spatry!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 04:01:21 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I am trying to put a little aside each month until I can afford another machine... it is gonna be a while for sure....

if you were going for a desktop, I probably have various used hardware I could offer, but I can't really do anything along those lines when you are addicted to lappies :)
Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush

Online Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 08:46:47 AM »
While I do prefer the portability of a notebook, I will consider a desktop option. 
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 12:28:49 PM »
From a computing power standpoint, desktops are a much better proposition, not to mention you can actually repair the things when something goes wrong.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my laptop and do a lot with it, but for serious work (and gaming) it's hard to compete with a desktop.  
If you must persist, I will be forced to tar you, then gzip you and finally umount you.

Offline katjaguar

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 09:36:32 PM »
You can get a Thinkpad T440(p) on eBay for around $200 (less if you make an offer and it gets accepted).

You can also search around for a Dell e7440, also around $200; see if you can get one with 16gb ram from the get-go so you won't have to deal with buying and installing new memory.

Any 4th or 5th gen Intel i5/i7 laptop around $200 should do well for you, hopefully.

Best of luck Spatry!

Offline glsmaxx

• Old Dog Learnin' New Tricks
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 07:58:10 AM »
Amazon has the Thinkpads also I have 2 of the T430s. You can't beat them. Has an i5 processor in it. I put an 120G mSata in for a boot drive and it came with 8 G of RAM upgradeable to 16G. I also get ~5hrs of battery time. They are the best buy out there in my opinion.

Running Manjaro-XFCE  &  Arch-XFCE
           Are There Any Others?

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 08:15:31 AM »
From a computing power standpoint, desktops are a much better proposition, not to mention you can actually repair the things when something goes wrong.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my laptop and do a lot with it, but for serious work (and gaming) it's hard to compete with a desktop.  

For the most part, this is true as you are 9/10 not able to upgrade the graphics card within a laptop. However, for everything else it really depends on the type of laptop you get. A lot of the business-grade options actually are pretty easy to upgrade and swap parts out. HP Elitebooks aren't bad for this as are Lenovo Thinkpads. Honestly, you can make both of them last forever especially if you get one of the recent line-up of quad core processors. Probably could run the thing for the next 10 years if you wanted considering system requirements over on the Linux side of things have stayed consistently low. :)

Plenty of used laptops or those going on clearance out there. Also, may be able to land a good deal on Black Friday or Tech Monday if willing to wait.

Amazon has the Thinkpads also I have 2 of the T430s. You can't beat them. Has an i5 processor in it. I put an 120G mSata in for a boot drive and it came with 8 G of RAM upgradeable to 16G. I also get ~5hrs of battery time. They are the best buy out there in my opinion.

Great suggestion! I have a work Thinkpad T470 that I really enjoy. Honestly, I think Spatry would like them. :)

Offline wchouser3

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 12:47:10 AM »
dude...at least make a short video with your phone or something for the utubers..they're going nuts

Online Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 07:39:22 AM »
Even the main camera on my phone isn't functioning, somehow the camera must have been burned out because the webcam (low quality facing cam) does work but I cannot shoot a video with that... 

Offline joejohnston3

• Super Supporter
  • Staff Member
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 03:41:03 PM »
I may have an extra laptop at home I could get to you and will get the specs for you this evening and see if it fits your needs.
Joe Johnston
LMDE

Online Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2018, 07:18:14 AM »
Joe has offered a spare machine which could possibly enable me to do 1080p video. It has higher specs than the moisture damaged laptop I am using now. MANY THANKS, JOE! After a short transitional time I will be able to crank out new videos. The old machine will either be re-purposed or scavenged for spare parts.

And don't you dare think that this special favor earns you any brownie points!
You are STILL FIRED!

Offline Dirty Helga

• Malevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Do you feel LUCKY today?
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2018, 07:24:58 AM »
And don't you dare think that this special favor earns you any brownie points!
You are STILL FIRED!
That is gratitude for ya! I say we change the topic to "Suggestion for all: We all use pitchforks on Spatry" and give him a proper impaling!

BTW Spat, you can give me your old computer and I will gladly plug it in, then toss it into the pool the next time you take a swim! That video might go VIRAL! HAH!
If you BREAK the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, I WILL SHOOT YOU!