Hello
Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 79 times)

Offline Lumacor

Hello
« on: June 12, 2018, 04:57:24 AM »
Greetings from the UK!
After watching the CoL Youtube videos, I was encouraged to move my caveman father's 10-year old Dell Inspiron from Windows XP to Linux Lite. He'd somehow managed to avoid mentioning all the various alerts and warnings presenting in the last few years. I hadn't seen him for a while until he came over for lunch with his computer under his arm...
It's the first real-world usage of Linux I've dealt with and it seems to have gone really well out of the box. The old man had no trouble using it for his day-to-day Spotify / YouTube browsing and email access. He essentially uses it as a glorified interactive phone book. If he can make the change without grumbling about anything (and believe me, he would if there was a cause) then it probably won't be long before my home system is moved in that direction too.
Luke.

Offline fraterchaos

• Mandelbrot Metal Mayhem!
  • Staff Member
  • Never underestimate the power of human stupidity
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 09:03:01 PM »
welcome Lumacor,

glad to have you with us, and yes, moving to Linux is usually a good thing. The only real reason not to do it is if you have some software that won't run in Linux, and there are a number of options for dealing with that.

Feel free to post comments or questions, as everyone here is ready to help :)
Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Hello
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 07:50:01 AM »
Welcome Luke, it is nice to have you with us.... have a look around. There is a lot of learning on this site. =D
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline joejohnston3

• Spatry BROKE it... I'm Telling!
  • Staff Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 05:14:43 PM »
Welcome to the community, Luke! It is great to have you here and this is a great place for input and Linux learning.
Joe Johnston
Solus MATE

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 08:21:23 PM »
Welcome to the COL Community Luke! Glad to have you with us. I've been working on getting my own family switched over to Linux. Actually, managed to get my grandmother off of using Windows, which was great. She's using Kubuntu 18.04. My step-dad is on the latest release of Zorin OS and I am actually running Deepin at the moment (unfortunately in combination with Windows because of school reqs). Really impressed with the UI overhaul and how far it has come over time.

Anyway, let us know if you have any questions and we'll see you out there. :)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login